Information on Frequent Issues

Information on Frequent Issues

If you would like information on any of the following topics, please download the relevant Information Sheet at the bottom of the page as a PDF document.

Adult Disability Payment - ADP. This is extra money if you have a disability or long-term health condition. It is not affected by your income or savings, is not taxed, and doesn't impact other benefits. It has replaced Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in Scotland.

Attendance Allowance. This is a benefit for people over State Pension age who need help with personal care or supervision due to illness or disability.

Blue Badge. If you struggle to get around, you could get a Disability Blue Badge and park closer to where you are going. It lets you park in on-street spaces, on single or double yellow lines when loading is permitted, and in some private car parks. You don't have to be the driver.

Carer's Allowance. Even if you don't think of yourself as a carer, if you look after a partner, relative or friend who would find it difficult to manage without your help, you are considered to be a carer.  You may be entitled to a weekly payment, whether or not you live with them, and even if you have savings.

Child Disability Payment (CDP). This is a tax-free payment for extra costs disabled children under 16 might have for their care, to get around, or both. CDP has replaced Disability Living Allowance for children and young people living in Scotland.

Council Tax Assistance. If you are on a low income or in receipt of certain benefits, you may be eligible for a Council Tax Reduction to help with paying your Council Tax bill. There are other discounts and exemptions available as well.

Help Paying for a TV License. If you watch television, any channel and whether on a TV or other device, you probably need a TV license. If you or someone you live with is over 75, you may be eligible for a free or a discount TV license.

Home Swapping / Mutual Exchange.  If you would like to move to a different area or type of property and you are a Secure Tenant of a local authority or housing association, you may be able to swap homes with another tenant.

Housing. If you are 16 or over, have a legal right to reside in the UK, and need a place to live, you can apply to Midlothian Council. If successful, you could be allocated a home from the Council or one provided by Melville Housing Association.

Housing Benefit.  This is money to help you pay for your rent if you are on a low income, have less than £16,000 in savings, are over State Pension age, or under State Pension age, but live in supported, sheltered or temporary housing.

Pension Credit. If you are over State Pension age and living on a low income, you might be eligible. This is extra money to help with everyday costs, even if you have other income, savings or assets. If you receive Pension Credit, you become eligible for other benefits and discounts, too.

Scottish Child Payment (SCP) and Best Start. SCP pays £26.70 a week for each child in a family where an adult receives certain benefits. Families decide how to spend it. Best Start is a programme of 4 other payments for families on low-incomes to help with the costs of caring for a child.

Useful files

  • 163.19 KB
    Adult Disability Payment
  • 171.71 KB
    Attendance Allowance
  • 191.74 KB
    Blue Badge
  • 160.4 KB
    Carer's Allowance
  • 161.18 KB
    Child Disability Payment
  • 149.02 KB
    Council Tax Reductions
  • 200.1 KB
    Help Paying for a TV License
  • 164.13 KB
    Home Swapping
  • 148.81 KB
    Housing Applications
  • 157.18 KB
    Housing Benefit
  • 143.58 KB
    Pension Credit
  • 161.6 KB
    Scottish Child Payment and Best Start